Sunday, February 20, 2011

"It's his birthday and he'll eat if he wants to"

Today we drove down to Hanford to celebrate the birth of a great guy, our buddy Nathan Shugert. He is Jeff's partner in crime. Well...I mean, is irritation a crime? A sport? A talent? An Art? Whatever it is they are beyond proficient. They are hilariously lame. They tease each other relentlessly, they rough house, they boisterously convince everyone else they should be in a mental institute...or have large doses of something...not sure what. Hmm...It's all in good brotherly bliss, but most of it I just don't get. I do admit it is fun to watch the proverbial twinkling of their eyes when they act out some goofball scene. I will also say that they are on the true playing field of Christian brotherhood. They hold each other up in prayer, and hold each other accountable. They are always ready to lend an ear or a hand No. Matter. What. I appreciate this man in my man's life, even the retardation.

We left basically straight after church to arrive on time. The almost hour long drive gave me reason to pause. I am glad we had today. What glorious weather, it makes me feel alive! Crisp clean air, blue skies... rare commodities around these parts! As I sat in the car I just let my eyes meander. I was lost in the green, like I had no cares in the world. At a frozen pace, I was lost in my own bliss. When we arrived I was ready for a nap.

Malibu & Lincoln (who calls himself Baby Zeus) were at the party. These two are Jenny & Nathan's little niece and nephew. We hadn't seen them in over a year...when you're talkin' 'bout babies that's a long time! They are incredibly cute. Oh and their new puppy Jasmine, she's ridiculously cute as well.  I think the only thing that won my heart more was the deep blue sparkling eyes of Trisitea as she sat on my lap looking up at me. Okay so maybe she didn't exactly sit. Okay fine! She draped her long legs and arms over my short little body. I love my cuddle time with all my little peoples. I am so glad she hasn't decided she's too old to snuggle. BUT. Her warm self melting into to me made me want to take a nap.

As I sat and talked with Bob, Debbie & Jenny (Jeff & Nathan were yakin' it up in the kitchen) I discovered we all needed naps.

 Instead.

We sang the birthday song as obnoxiously off key as possible. Watched him open his gifts. We ate a yummy meal. Megaliz the mixing Yoda (Elizabeth) made a cake from scratch. It was not to be missed. We had a plate made for eating later at home. (**And girl Auntie did eat it at home. YUM!! My birthday is June 9th, I'm just sayin' is all**) Then we high tailed it back to Fresno for Ricky's 4:00 choir practice. Yeah...

PS Ricky, who shares an interest in boyscout with Nathan, had spent the weekend making a special gift for him. Ricky was out in the garage with his wood burning kit and on the back patio with his whittling kit creating the master piece every chance he got. Unfortunately in the rush to get to the party we forgot to bring that & the gift Billy bought for Nathan to share with his family. I love my kid's generosity and kindness. I love that they have a man aside from Dad in their lives that they feel is worthy of being honored. I suppose, after all, that's why he's Uncle Nathan to them.

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

OhmygoshImissyouguyssomuch.:(

Shirin said...

There's nothing like having people who love and appreciate your people who are people you love and appreciate if you know what I mean. By the way, takes one to know one! You are certainly blessed and a blessing!

Charity Anne said...

Booo, I'm sorry Liz. I'm sure you must have moments like that from time to time. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could meet in the middle sometime! I sure enjoy our electronic talks though....

Shirin I love you too, visit me soon chica...what's up next week???