Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What do you eat for breakfast?

I was asked this question not that long ago. I had to stop & think, what do we eat for breakfast? To be honest, if it were up to me, we would have cold cereal every single day all year long. I am just lazy in the morning. I'm not ashamed, I admit it. Even if we aren't going somewhere, even if were not in school, I just don't wanna!
In the colder months we are more likely to eat Cream of Wheat or Malt-o-meal, made with milk. Grits with salt, butter & bacon. Oatmeal with...... you name it. I really don't know why we aren't creative with the other three choices but with Oatmeal we are. Applesauce & Raisins, Apricots & Honey, Maple Syrup & Cranberries, Brown Sugar & Butter etc....
We also use a lot of leftover meats such as ground beef, chicken, steak or turkey in Breakfast Burritos, Omeletes, Breakfast Casseroles, Breakfast Skillet Meals or Breakfast Pizzas. We make "Mc Vincents" with leftover hamburger patties & whatever bread substance we have laying around. Be it Toast, English Muffin, Croissant, Bagel its all good! We like leftover Salmon with Cream Cheese on some sort of Carb as well.
When we need to clear the fridge from a bunch of fruit that needs to be eaten NOW we make Smoothies, Breakfast Parfaits or just plain old Fruit Salad.
All three guys like Peanut Butter Toast or Peanut Butter & Butter in a rolled up Tortilla. If I do Peanut Butter I prefer Elvis Toast.
My boys like to make Pancakes, Muffins or Waffles. "The works" is also high in demand. You know Bacon or Sausage, Eggs with or without Chorizo, Hash Browns etc... Sometimes I do allow that level of a mess. Even I, at times, have a craving for Biscuits & Gravy, Country Fried Potatos, Scrambled Eggs stuffed into a over sized soft Dinner Roll or Tostaditas y Huevos.
We have traditions as well. For back to school, 100th day of school, camping, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Birthdays etc...
Well I'd really rather everyone have a Bowl of Cereal. Rinse their bowl, put it in the dish washer & walk away!
But I guess that would just be too boring.

No comments: