Thursday, October 8, 2009

REAL Mustard Greens

Mustard Greens are amazing. They offer us vitamins A, C, Calcium and Iron. Not to mention they are easy to make & easy on the wallet.

Over the years I've seen people serve up some very creative mustard green recipes. However I prefer to eat them in a simple, more traditional  manner. Aside from the very basic just dump it in recipe of chopped bacon, diced onion, salt, pepper and of course the greens themselves, I have found very little I enjoy.

That is until I discovered this recipe.

Rachel Rays Braised Mustard Greens
4 slices bacon, chopped
3 bunches mustard greens, trimmed and chopped
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
coarse salt
2 cups chicken broth
In a large skillet over medium heat brown bacon and render its fat.
Add chopped greens to the pan in bunches and turn until they wilt, then add more greens.
When all greens are in the pan, add vinegar and cook a minute.
Season greens with sugar and salt.
Add chicken broth to pan and cover.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

The two ways I've mentioned are both great options, supplying so many nutrients without over powering the greens......give either a try. I hope you like them as much as I do.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My Mom made this and we loved it. She used leafy lettuce instead of mustard greens. I'll have to try this.

Charity Anne said...

I'm sure you'll love it, I have heard of people using a variety of greens, I guess any of them would work great!

Jeff Vincent said...

I'm not exactly a vegetarian but you are making me look forward to this.

Charity Anne said...

Well maybe when we move to Fresno you can be home for dinner more, sorry you missed it this time around.