Friday, November 14, 2008

My Iron Chefs

When my boys were teeny-tiny I started them in the kitchen. It all started with little kid cookbooks, cookie cutter kits & parenting magazine ideas. When they were in the beginning years of schooling I was in charge of "fellowship days" in our homeschool co-op. I had a rotation system of yard games, crafts & cooking projects for elementary children to participate in.
As the years went by I researched what each civilization that we studied would have eaten. We had a meal at the end of each unit. Sometimes we invited friends, sometime we just had a family dinner. I have carried over family favorites & holiday traditions from my childhood. I have picked up recipes from Jeff's family. I have created new traditions by adding my own newly acquired recipes.
I have been compiling a cookbook for my boys to take with them when they grow up & leave me. I have recipes from a friends family (traditional Mexican food) I have recipes from my Grandma (both Southern American & Armenian) I have recipes from Aunt Beckie's High School Home Ec. Class as well as my own class. There is a variety from family, friends & our own additions. I have written a story by each recipe, so the book is going to be quit the keep sake. (thanks for the idea Becky)
I remember loving to cook from a young age. I have memories of looking through cookbooks for recipes I wanted to try, showing them to my Mom & her buying what I needed to make whatever treasure I hunted. That is what I have done for my boys. They are trained. They have been set free in the kitchen. They love watching Food Network. They have a collection of cookbooks from there favorite shows. We also have cookbooks from different books read such as "The Redwall Cookbook".
A monthly dinner menu is posted on our refrigerator. Each boy is given two days a month to cook. All that I require is that they make a balanced meal & stick to what they have decided to cook, after all the ingredients have been purchased.


This is what they have made so far in this school year (Sept., Oct. & part of Nov.)

Ricky
Shrimp & Hot Root Soup (Redwall)
Spaghetti, Garlic Bread & Green Salad
Breakfast on a Stick & Sliced Gala Apples
Tri tip Hoggies with Grilled Sweet Red Onions & Sweet Orange Bell Peppers
Enchiladas & Kiwi Slices

Billy
Moles Deeper-n-Ever Turnip & Tator deep Rot Pie with Rutabaga & Sausage. (Redwall)
Garlic Roasted Dungeness Crab, Fennel Ricotta Skillet Bread & Pomegranates
Truly Texan Chili, Corn Bread & Corn on Cob
Shrimp Scampi with Linguini & Green Salad
Sour Cream Potato Soup, Gingered Steak Strips & Boiled Carrots.

No comments: